Jeff's Personal Weblog

Monday, May 01, 2006

MySpace: The world's biggest popularity contest

Well I created a MySpace page. Not much to see there, but you can see that I have 16 friends (7 of which are actually free advertising). I think I might have a unique picture or two on there also. So without further ado, I present to you... [drumroll]... Jeff's Space [cymbol crash]

This MySpace craze is like an indie band's wet dream. Offer up some songs. Become everyone and their grandma's friend. Get others to put your song on their page and voila, instant publicity. You know, I think it is cool for fans to want to spread the word about their favorite bands. My problem is when the bands push themselves on you. The other day I got a message from someone I never heard of wanting to be my friend. Turns out the person was actually some crappy indie band. They must have gone to every friend of some other band and tried to make new friends. I listened a little to the music - kinda weird, but not half bad - but I won't have anything to do with that band again because I got MySpammed. (MySpammed... I like that. I wonder if anyone else has used it yet. I just looked and turns out I wasn't the first. Damnit.)

The other thing I wanted to say was Thank You to MySpace for making me feel inadequate yet again. It is a real esteem builder when the shiest girl in high school has more friends than you. Course most of my friends aren't on MySpace... or I just haven't gotten around to adding them as friends... and I don't really care about my friend count anyways... I just joined to view other people's profiles... It's just a big stupid popularity contest, anyways, and I'm above that... besides, popularity contests are so high school... I mean jeez, grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home