Jeff's Personal Weblog

Monday, September 27, 2004

A Rare Glimpse Inside

I went to a wedding with my friend Sara this weekend. And as we were driving to the reception, we got to talking about happiness and depression and how sometimes you are depressed when logic would tell you you should be happy and sometimes you are happiest when in situations that seem somewhat depressing. For example, while in college, you are surrounded by opportunities to meet people and have fun, but a lot of times, college is when people feel most depressed. Of course there is stress, which plays a big part, but I think equally big is the fact that we are still trying to figure out who we are and who we want to be, and that sometimes we can't become who we want to be (whether that is being the one to find a cure for cancer, or being the star athlete, or just being popular). I think that a year or two after graduating college, we've finally accepted who we are. We know pretty much what we want from life, and have a general idea of how to get there.

Anyways, this conversation I had with Sara made me think about how I've been feeling the last couple years. I think I've really had 3 stages of happiness. After breaking up with the Ex, I had a period of depression. I then moved into a period of neither happiness, nor depression. I was really just treading water in a sea of indifference (to put it poetically). And now, as of a few months ago, I am actually quite happy. It is a bit of a strange feeling because it had been so long since I actually felt happy for several days at a time. I'm not really sure why I felt it necessary to share this to the world, but I did so there you have it.

And speaking of happiness, I had an excellent weekend. Actually the last several weekends have been excellent. But on this particular weekend I went to a birthday party for my brother, Dan, which was fun. I went to Jennie Hoff's wedding and danced the night away. And I hung out with Coreena on Sunday, which was thoroughly enjoyable. Today I had an important presentation at work that went extremely well, I thought, so that is a relief. Tomorrow I have a Cat Care gathering/meeting for the humane society. I guess there will be food and door prizes, so it should be interesting. Hopefully I'll meet some cool people. That is all for now.

1 Comments:

  • Glad to hear that you're happy and doing well. You deserve it, even if you are a liberal.
    :)

    -Jamey

    By Blogger Jamey Byom, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home